Newbie: Which is faster?

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Fri Nov 22 08:20:44 PST 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 09:06, Ian Molton wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:00:24 +0000 (UTC)
> ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net (Ken Dyke) wrote:
>
> > Turn
> > un-needed services off (for security reasons if none other).
> > Otherwise there should not be a significant difference.  YMMV
>
> unused services shouldnt slow the machine down in general use at all,
> once booted.
>
> an unused daemon will typically use zero (no) CPU time and have all its
> RAM swapped out.

You are right.  The security aspect still holds.  I am just not that
familiar with how the various distros are constructed these days.  Red
Hat and Tom's Root Boot are the only ones I still use (and their days
are numbered).

This thread really belongs over on lfs-chat since the OP does not appear
to be asking an lfs install/support related question.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,