Shutdown - lfs partition fails to unmount

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Fri Nov 22 02:12:04 PST 2002

* Brian Shortridge <bshortridge at tellumat.com> [2002-11-22 09:15]:

> While shutting down, when unmounting file systems, the /dev/hda7 (my lfs
> partition) failed to unmount twice (said that it was in use), then my
> computer powered down.
>
> Why did it think that the partition was in use and how do I stop that from
> happening in future?

It was in use because /mnt/lfs/proc was mounted. There may be other
things using it too.

Do not mount anything from inside chroot. If you do, /etc/mtab will
not be updated, so the host distribution will not know that it needs to
umount $LFS/proc.

You can create the mount points and mount filesystems from outside
chroot without poluting your new shiny LFS with any influences from
the host distribution. I have raised this issue before, but for some
reason the book still recommends compiling a static version of mount
with the sole purpose of provoking this bug.

> (should I have unmounted the proc filesystem before exiting?)

Yes.

> Will this damage my fledgeling lfs system in any way?

Perhaps. Any sensible shutdown script will run sync if it cannot umount
some filesystems. This is often enough to prevent corruption, but it is
not something I would rely on.

> PS. Sorry for the long disclaimer, our IT 'professionals' thought that it
> would be a good idea.

It is a bit shocking that people calling themselves IT 'professionals'
have not understood section 2.1.1 of RFC2821. I could not be bothered
to look up the other mistakes.

Richard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org