kernel version

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Fri Nov 22 00:54:28 PST 2002

On Thursday 21 November 2002 20:45, Adrian Smarzewski wrote:
>>> Can I boot from floppy, chroot to cd-rom and compile LFS from
>>> other version of kernel than the target one?
>>
>> Yes. Unless you're running a really old distro which doesn't have
>> the minimum development tools necessary for the kernel you intend
>> to run.
>
> Static utilities are already compiled and written to CD, but I think
> that one-floppy distributions use 2.2.x kernels or even 2.0.x. Is
> this a problem? Do any programs use kernel-specific information
> during compilation/instalation? I think so, becouse mounted proc
> filesystem is required...

Try and see. I guess it also depends on the software on the cdrom. For
LFS installation, it shouldn't matter. The information in /proc is
backwards compatible. I know some LFS'ers have switched to 2.4.x  very
late (or perhaps not yet at all). It doesn't matter for LFS install.

--
Groeten/Greetings
Jeroen Coumans
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org