Shutdown - lfs partition fails to unmount

Brian Shortridge bshortridge at tellumat.com
Thu Nov 21 23:38:33 PST 2002

Hi all

Last night I decided to go to bed after installing GCC in chapter 6 of LFS
4.0.

I typed in 'exit' which took me out of the $LFS chroot. I then typed 'exit'
again which dropped me back to the login prompt.

Then I <Ctrl-Alt-F7> to get to the graphical login screen, and selected
system->shutdown.

While shutting down, when unmounting file systems, the /dev/hda7 (my lfs
partition) failed to unmount twice (said that it was in use), then my
computer powered down.

I haven't switched my computer on yet since then. What I want to know is:

Why did it think that the partition was in use and how do I stop that from
happening in future?
(should I have unmounted the proc filesystem before exiting?)

Will this damage my fledgeling lfs system in any way?

Thanks for any help

Brian

PS. Sorry for the long disclaimer, our IT 'professionals' thought that it
would be a good idea.

Notice:

This email transmission contains confidential information which is the property of the sender and if you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of the contents of this e-mail transmission, or the taking of any action in reliance thereon or pursuant thereto, is strictly prohibited. Should you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately to arrange for the return of the documentation comprising this transmission. No warranty is given by Tellumat (Pty) Ltd that the integrity of this e-mail has been maintained throughout transmission, nor that the communication is free of viruses, interception or interference. In no event will Tellumat (Pty) Ltd be liable to any party for any direct, indirect, special or other consequential damages for any reliance or use of this email, including, without limitation, any lost profits, business interruption, loss of programs or other data on your information handling system or otherwise. Unless expre
ssly stated by the sender to be given on behalf of Tellumat (Pty) Ltd, any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. Tellumat (Pty) Ltd disclaims liability for any unauthorised opinion or representation made by the sender on behalf of Tellumat (Pty) Ltd.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org