lfs done, backup?

Casey Allen Shobe cshobe at osss.net
Thu Nov 21 12:20:27 PST 2002

On Thursday 21 November 2002 01:51 pm, Jim Murphy wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe
> 	tar cjf lfs.tar.bz2 $LFS
> would be correct.

Depends on your version of tar.  The tar distributed with many versions of
slackware adds a -y option for bz2.  The patch used in LFS adds a -j option
for bz2.  The official stable release of tar does not support an option for
bz2.  The official alpha versions of tar use -j for bzip2 compression.
Unfortunately, -b was already in use before bzip2 came around, but in
reality, bzipping isn't a feature of tar, so tar doesn't really need the
option at all.  It's just convenient.

This will always work, assuming you have bzip2:

tar cf lfs.tar $LFS && bzip2 lfs.tar

There's also some way of doing it all in one command (without &&), but I can't
remember the syntax.

--
Casey Allen Shobe, Open Source Software Solutions
cshobe at osss.net / http://www.osss.net / 770-653-4526
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org