EDBA too big

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Wed Nov 20 07:19:08 PST 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Tan Siong Hua wrote:
>after successfuly compiled full lfs 4.0 system, I changed something in the
>Linux kernel config and recompile it again, then run lilo to update it, but
>upon restart, I get error message like this
>
>EBDA too big
>
>and then it stop responding.

I don't recall all the details, but there is some mentions of this
(Extended Bios Data Area) in the lilo documentation. Dig around in the
lilo source directory for the documentation (there is a *lot* of it) and
it will discuss in there the problems with less and less address space
being available for loading the initial kernel (in real mode?) due to the
Bios data area getting bigger and bigger. IIRC, you need to reduce your
kernel size by unconfiguring things you don't need in the kernel.

If that is so, you can also help by making loadable modules of things you
don't need at boot, but need/want later, like sound cards and so forth.

HTH

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com