GCC - make bootstrap fails

Tim Binsted lfs at fambinsted.demon.nl
Tue Nov 19 12:01:36 PST 2002

I have had this several times as well. I assume that we are talking about the
static build of gcc (Chapter 5).
I received some help which basically pointed me in the directions of make
bootstrapN where N is  a number between 2 and 4.
If you look in the Makefile you will see a series of these.

As I understand it the bootsrap builds two versions of gcc and then compares
them. Each version of the bootsrap then makes the next version. The objects
etc. are put into the directory gcc-build.

I had heard that some people have got to bootstrap8 (not in the Makefile)
before the thing built.

Anyway the way I proceeded (and got it built) was to build. Then perform make
bootstrap2, make bootstrap3, make bootrap4. (Don't throw away gcc-build).
This still doesn't work so I tried another make (withpout throwing gcc-build
and it went.

I am using SuSE 8.0 as the bootstrap system, a small machine (100M with 32M)
and I think that this has something to do with the error.

Anyway it got built eventually.
Gr, Tim Binsted