Deleting the source code and backing up LFS

Graz Bukanoff drevenhaug at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 18 11:15:05 PST 2002

Hello.

I have some questions about LFS.

First of all, can I delete the source tree of each package right after its
installation or should I wait until the end of the LFS installation? What
about the glibc-build, gcc-build and eventually other *-build directories
that are created in the source directory when doing chapter 6, are they
necessary or can they be deleted?

What is the easiest way to backup the system? Is it possible to make a tar
file of the whole lfs partition, which would keep all the righ file
permissions and special files (like devices) and which I could extract
later? if it is possible, how can I make it? If not, what alternative is
there.

I'm installing LFS for the second time because I run out of space the first
time so I copied all the files to my windows partition with a utility to
access Linux partition. Then I resized the lfs partition but when I copied
back all the files they had lost all their permissions and nothing worked
:-(

Thanks in advance.

Graz Bukanoff

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org