grub + reiserfs = kernel panic

Chris Wesdorp chriswesdorp at planet.nl
Mon Nov 18 07:07:19 PST 2002

>      *root (hd0,0)
>      *kernel (hd0,0)/boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda1
>
> I hope someone can help me out,
>
> Rolf Deenen
>
> PS: The complete error at boot is:
> blahblahblah...
> blahblahblah...
> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno = 2
> CFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or 03:01
>

> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno = 2
> CFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or 03:01

1) Did you build your kernel with devfs support? When devfs is used the
kernel doesn't know /dev/hda1.

2) Did you use reiserfs_stage1_5 when you installed grub? See the grub
hint for details.

3) What's CFS? I found (google search) Corba File System and Coda File
System, disable them in your kernel and try to boot.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org