localedef failing with numerous error messages

Frank Hammond frankham69 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 17 18:53:37 PST 2002

Hi all,

I am trying to complete the instructions on installing glibc-2.2.5 and wish
to select only 2 locales (of en_AU as my primary and en_US as my secondary).
The instructions are from the 'Installing Glibc-2.2.5' section in Chapter 6
of Version 4 of the LFS book.

The compile instructions for the glibc (with patch and threads add-on) seems
to work perfectly and completes the compile instructions up to and including
the make install. (I have chroot'd and mounted proc beforehand as instructed
and the compile instructions were performed exactly as per the book).

Once the compile is done, the LFS book describes the options of
1) creating all the locales using the make localedata/install-locales
command
or
2) to use the localedef command to select the locales required

I wish to take option 2 with en_AU and en_US, so I do as instructed and run
the following commands

mkdir -p /usr/lib/locale &&
localedef -v -i en_AU -f  ISO-8859-15 en_AU &&
localedef -v -i en_US -f  ISO-8859-15 en_US

All I get is many errors such as the following examples:

/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU:23: non-symbolic character value should not be
used
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU:24: non-symbolic character value should not be
used
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU:25: non-symbolic character value should not be
used
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU:25: LC_IDENTIFICATION: unknown character in
field 'address'
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU:27: non-symbolic character value should not be
used
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU:31: non-symbolic character value should not be
used
etc etc
/usr/share/i18n/locales/i18n:1077: non-symbolic character value should not
be used
etc etc
/usr/share/i18n/locales/en_AU:54: non-symbolic character value should not be
used
/usr/share/i18n/locales/transit_neutral:10: non-symbolic character value
should not be used
/usr/share/i18n/locales/transit_neutral:10: non-symbolic character value
should not be used
etc etc
LC_NAME: field 'name_gen' not defined
LC_NAME: field 'name_mr' not defined
etc etc
LC_ADDRESS: field 'country_name' not defined
LC_ADDRESS: field 'country_post' not defined
etc etc
LC_IDENTIFICATION: no identification for category 'LC_MEASUREMENT'
no output file produced because warning were issued

The localedef en_US command produces similar results.

If it were to succeed I believe all that was left to do was to run the
command tzinfo, answer the queries and determine the best setting for my
location (which I noticed there is an entry for Melbourne, Australia) and
run the command to link the relevant local timezone file to the
/etc/localtime file, in my case:

ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Melbourne /etc/localtime

I am hoping someone can help as I have no idea as to what it could be!

Thanks,

Frank

PS. A General Q. As the main LFS server is down at the moment, are users
just sending an email to post a message ?? eg is there a mirror for the
current mailing lists?

.....sorry for the newbie q !

---