grub + reiserfs = kernel panic

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sun Nov 17 04:19:56 PST 2002

On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:03:36 +0100 rolf deenen <rolf at deendyn.tmfweb.nl>
wrote:

> 1. Does the fact that linux starts to boot, mean that my grub
> installation is ok and that the problem is not grub?

Grub is certainly working fine, but your Grub configuration (namely the
"root=..." on the "kernel..." line) may not be (it looks okay, though,
from what you posted below).

> 2. Just before it creates the "kernel panic" it wants to do a
> "modprobe". Does this mean that it's looking for a module to mount the
> root-partition. This would be strange since i did include reiserfs
> support in the kernel (no module).

Are you SURE?!?!?!?!?!?
And what about other stuff such as support for your controller (IDE,SCSI).
You should double and triple check. Recompile the kernel and make sure you
have copied it to the correct place. It's best to find and delete all
instances of "lfskernel" on all partitions *before* reinstalling your
kernel to make sure that you're replacing it in the correct place.
It's probably best to compile a monolithic kernel (no modules at all)
first to eliminate any module problems. Once you got that working you can
modularize.

> Further:
> -The installation was done from a debian host-system installed at
> hdb1.
> -This installation boots from floppy (because you can't boot from
> hdb?)
> -The LFS system is entirely installed at hda1 with swap on hda2
> -When booting into grub i issue the following commands (although I'm
> not completely certain and do not have the opportunity at the moment
> to check):
>      *root (hd0,0)
>      *kernel (hd0,0)/boot/lfskernel root=/dev/hda1

Looks fine.

MSB

--
An army of sheep led by a lion