Compile on fast machine, then run on slow machine....

Allen Parker allenp at efn.org
Sat Nov 16 09:55:04 PST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: lfs-support-bounce at linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:lfs-support-bounce at linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of Bill
Maltby - LFS Related
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 8:06 AM
To: LFS Support
Subject: Re: Compile on fast machine, then run on slow machine....

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002 gsf600y at v21.me.uk wrote:

>Hi,
>I am attempting to install LFS on an old Pentium 233mhz machine.
>Is it possible to compile everything on my faster 1400mhz machine, then
>physically move the HDD into the old machine, and boot it up?
>
>Or is there another method?

Look two places at least: the hints (LFS has a hints section you might
want to look at) for cross compiling and search the archives (if not
available yet, search google) for a post by John McGinn(?) about moving
HDs to another machine. His post assumes Lilo. If you use another boot
loader, things might vary.

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

It's very easy to do this, most GNU compliant configure scripts allow
processor specific optimizations. If your Pentium 1 233 IS NOT MMX, you
should use the i586, just fyi. Just personal experience. Perhaps also
going into irc.freenode.net's #linuxhelp will work.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org