Mounting Proc, permission denied error. (Chapter 6, LFS 4.0)

shane at dbtech.net shane at dbtech.net
Fri Nov 15 14:28:27 PST 2002

NOTE: I am not subscribed to this list.  Be sure to CC me if replying.

I am working on a small project where I could possibly use LFS, so I recently
started installing LFS 4.0 following the book with no deviation.
However, I soon ran into a problem in Chapter 6 after the initial chroot.
After chrooting and creating directories, I attempted to mount proc for the
first time.  I repeatedly recieved "permission denied".  Was I typing it right?
Yep.

I tried a few things such as mounting from outside chroot, but when I went to
the MAKEDEV step, I got errors w/ mknod creating the entries.  I was quite
miffed.  I hit the #lfs channel at irc.openprojects.net and a few folks were
quite helpful... We determined it might be the way /mnt/lfs was mounted... It
wasn't.

Well, after battling with this for a few hours, I finally found out what the
problem was... I am running Gentoo as the host with GrSecurity patches compiled
in the kernel.  If you have GrSecurity compiled in your kernel you will not be
able to mount proc, make devices, and/or other things from within your LFS
chroot.  :-)

Just lettin' ya'll know just in case somebody else has the same issue.  Oh, and
if anyone else has any information on this, like how to disable grsecurity
without recompile of kernel, let me (and the list) know.

-Shane

This message sent compliments of db Technology
           http://www.dbtech.net/

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org