Minimalist Linux

Al T. at at fiber.net
Fri Nov 15 07:17:02 PST 2002

I'll tell you what I know.  I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what I've
figured out.

Useko Netsumi wrote:

> 0. should fit on 100MB disk and 16MB memory

Use CFLAGS="-Os"

This will tell GCC to try to keep things a bit smaller.  It will take less
space on the disk, and will use a bit less memory.  Also, consider building
this on a machine with more space.  Then, simply copy the directory
structure over to the new drive, but without some stuff: (Can anyone check
on this?  I haven't done it yet)

- You can probably skip all stuff in /usr/include since this machine may not
compile anything int he future.
- You can probably remove all .a libraries.  I think these are used for
static linking.  (I am right?)
- You can remove man pages in different languages to save space (I for one
don't speak French; no sense having French man pages)

> 1. real basic kernel with some(complete) IDE & PCMCIA CARD drivers

Compile the kernel with just the minimal stuff.  You will need to install
Card Services.  It's not too hard.

> supports 2. it should have iptables,networking(DNS,FTP,ssh, routing and
> other basic networking) functionalities.

Look in the HINTS section and BEYOND LFS book on how to install client
versions of the software.

Fitting all this in 100 MB might be tight, but possible.

--

@
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org