building LFS... errors when trying to configure Bash

solo-8 at juno.com solo-8 at juno.com
Thu Nov 14 09:44:18 PST 2002

Ok well im following the exact instructions from the latest LFS book with the exception of not including the creation of a new partition and filesystem.The reason being im trying to build the lfs next to an existing system. I went on to "Mounting the new partion" to create the /mnt/lfs directory, mount it using "mount /dev/hdb2/ /mnt/lfs". I made the static dir, and followed all in "Install all software as an unprivilgded user". Then i go on to install bash & find that libcurses.a is missing. So I install the newest ncurses that came with the LFS 4.0 tarbel. Now both files, libcurses.a and libncurses.a, are in there. I follow the commands to configure Bash and get this error shortly after "make install"...

/usr/lib/libcurses.a(lib_tparm.o): In function `tparm':
lib_tparm.o(.text+0xbd0): undefined reference to `__divsi3'
lib_tparm.o(.text+0xc28): undefined reference to `__modsi3'
/usr/lib/libcurses.a(lib_tputs.o): In function `delay_output':
lib_tputs.o(.text+0x48): undefined reference to `__divsi3'
/usr/lib/libcurses.a(lib_tputs.o): In function `tputs':
lib_tputs.o(.text+0x444): undefined reference to `__divsi3'
/usr/lib/libcurses.a(lib_napms.o): In function `napms':
lib_napms.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `__divsi3'
lib_napms.o(.text+0x18): undefined reference to `__modsi3'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bash] Error 1
(prompt)

Does anyone know where I can read up on how to fix this or perhaps give me a simple solution? I'm hoping theres a "simple" one. =) i did a search and the closest thing i came to that problem was on http://www.devrs.com/gba/files/gbadevfaqs.php:

 I get an "undefined reference" to one of these: __divsi3,__modsi3,__udivsi3,__umodsi3. Why?

The library libgcc.a is either not getting properly linked with your project or it is an incorrect version.