CVS INSTALL (resynching to the start of Chap 6)

Tushar T tush at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 07:18:33 PST 2002

Jasper Stein wrote:

> Trouble is, a number of packages later (sorry, don't recall which
> exactly) bison was needed to process some file, but it failed with (I
> think) an 'ambiguous grammar' error or something like that. Bison-1.35
> (which I installed thereafter) had no problems on this file.

Most of the problems are easy to fix (usually a missing semi-colon). The
error reporting is verbose enough to determine what needs to be done.

> (BTW, to me this says that either bison-1.35 is faulty, processing a
> corrupt file, or bison-1.75 is faulty, not processing a valid file.
> How do I decide which is the case, me not knowing bison?)

Figure it out this way: If the problematic file is fixed, will it
compile with both bison-1.75 and bison-1.35? If it does, bison-1.35 is
linent in accepting invalid code. If it does not, there is a bug in
bison-1.75 that should be reported.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377