Net-tools 1.60: cannot find -ldnet: SOLVED

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Wed Nov 13 15:06:25 PST 2002

[13.11.2002] Jasper Stein <-- :
> Erika Pacholleck wrote:
>
> >>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldnet
> >>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >>make: *** [hostname] Error 1
> >
> >As far as I see in hostname.c this "getnodename" belongs to DECnet.
> >Could it be that you don't have DEC net, did not enable it in your
> >kernel, but said yes to it in the configure part of net-tools?
>
> You seem to be right. What I wonder, though, is this: I was still using
> the chroot environment, inside my rather sucky RH8.0 box. Does RH8's
> kernel have DECnet copiled in? I don't know. But that shouldn't matter,
> should it? (if so, why?) Because, this seems to be a linker problem
> (it's ld that complains). So then 'dnet' (or probably rather libdnet.so
> or something) should be available as a file inside the chroot
> environment, which it isn't. Net-tools itself doesn't provide it
> (otherwise it wouldn't complain) so some other package should have
> provided it. Should I have done something extra in the initial
> 'installation' of Linux-2.4.19 (since you imply that it could also be a
> kernel problem)?

Oh, I see you understood my sentence differently than I ment it:
Kernel config has better helps/explains, so if you have read those
for DEC net and decided you don't need it, then you would also not
enable it in net-tools. That is, flatly spoken, the whole relation
between net-tools and kernel (either in both or in none).

But you are right, the linker can't find some libdnet.so.
There must be a package with provides all those things you need
to connect OpenVMS <-> Linux, and that should build such a lib,
maybe decnet- or dn- or dec- tools/progs or similar (google would
help I guess).

That's all I can add for it.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org