Net-tools 1.60: cannot find -ldnet: SOLVED

Jasper Stein jasper at cs.kun.nl
Wed Nov 13 06:46:40 PST 2002

Erika Pacholleck wrote:

>>/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldnet
>>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>make: *** [hostname] Error 1
>
> As far as I see in hostname.c this "getnodename" belongs to DECnet.
> Could it be that you don't have DEC net, did not enable it in your
> kernel, but said yes to it in the configure part of net-tools?
> Just an idea.

You seem to be right. What I wonder, though, is this: I was still using
the chroot environment, inside my rather sucky RH8.0 box. Does RH8's
kernel have DECnet copiled in? I don't know. But that shouldn't matter,
should it? (if so, why?) Because, this seems to be a linker problem
(it's ld that complains). So then 'dnet' (or probably rather libdnet.so
or something) should be available as a file inside the chroot
environment, which it isn't. Net-tools itself doesn't provide it
(otherwise it wouldn't complain) so some other package should have
provided it. Should I have done something extra in the initial
'installation' of Linux-2.4.19 (since you imply that it could also be a
kernel problem)?

Not that it matters now, but I'm just wondering.
--

Jasper
--

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org