Net-tools 1.60: cannot find -ldnet

Jasper Stein jasper at cs.kun.nl
Wed Nov 13 05:10:26 PST 2002

Dear all,

I'm trying to build the Net-tools package, but it fails building
properly. hostname.c isn't properly handled, it fails with the error
"/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldnet".

To me this says that some package (or at least this 'dnet' library) is
misinstalled, but I didn't get any errors underway (AFAIR). Moreover,
the other packages I could install all right and my system runs fine,
except for this glitch.

I have not followed the book by the letter (after all, LFS is about
choice, isn't it? :-) so I may have installed a newer version of some
package that is supposed to provide this library but doesn't do so any
longer.

So my questions: do any of you know of this problem? Is it some
miscompilation that I didn't notice? Which package should provide this
library? Or could it be some other problem?

FYI, the last part of the "make' phase says:
cc -D_GNU_SOURCE -O2 -Wall -g  -I. -idirafter ./include/ -Ilib   -c -o
hostname.o hostname.c
hostname.c: In function `setnname':
hostname.c:73: warning: implicit declaration of function `setnodename'
hostname.c:82: warning: deprecated use of label at end of compound statement
hostname.c:83: warning: implicit declaration of function `exit'
hostname.c: In function `sethname':
hostname.c:102: warning: deprecated use of label at end of compound
statement
hostname.c: In function `setdname':
hostname.c:121: warning: deprecated use of label at end of compound
statement
hostname.c: In function `showhname':
hostname.c:178: warning: deprecated use of label at end of compound
statement
hostname.c: In function `main':
hostname.c:390: warning: implicit declaration of function `getnodename'
cc  -Llib -o hostname hostname.o -ldnet
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldnet
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [hostname] Error 1

If necessary I can provide you with the package versions I used. Just
ask :-)

Jasper
--
+++ Out of Cheese error +++ MELON MELON MELON +++ Redo from Start +++

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org