Swap space - The Answer

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Mon Nov 11 17:30:07 PST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 17:38, Dan Osterrath wrote:
> code data will not be swapped but re-read from the filesystem? I can't
> imagine!
> At first there is no seperation between code and data on von-Neumann machines.

Looking in my copy of "Understanding the Linux Kernel"
"Which kind of page to swap out? ..."
"Modified pages belonging to a private memory mapping of a process..."

What I am seeing is that there is no distinction being made between code
and data.  The only distinction is modified mappings of files that are
already on disk.  The best place to swap an unmodified page out to is
where it already lives.

So the page where a counter lives gets flagged as modified and is
preserved by swapping.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,