Minimalist Linux

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Mon Nov 11 06:50:18 PST 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 15:38, you wrote:
 > Hi, I successfully build LFS system as instructed by the book, thanks to
 > those who put together this project. I've learn so much from it.

Congratulations!

 > But, now I have a few question on how to build my own distribution with
 > the following requirements:
 > 0. should fit on 100MB disk and 16MB memory
 > 1. real basic kernel with some(complete) IDE & PCMCIA CARD drivers
 > supports
 > 2. it should have iptables,networking(DNS,FTP,ssh, routing and
 > other basic networking) functionalities.

Have a look at BusyBox (www.busybox.net), and uClibc (www.uClibc.org). You
could even build a minimalist system within a floppy with the requirements
you have.

There is also zipslack (or was it slackzip?) that is a stripped down version
of slackware that fits on a ZIP-100 cartdridge. I even managed to get a
MDK 8.1 to install on a ZIP-100 (that, was awfull! ;-/ ).

Cheers,
Yann.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home  516 | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org