No C++ compiler ?

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Mon Nov 11 03:19:31 PST 2002

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, lanas wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>  This is about LFS 4.0.  I've installed the static part, then I chroot
>to do the dynamic install.  When trying to compile groff, the
>./configure reports that there is no C++ compiler installed, like this:
>
>checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
>checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
>checking for g++... no
>checking for c++... no
>checking for gpp... no
>checking for aCC... no
>checking for CC... no
>checking for cxx... no
>checking for cc++... no
>checking for cl... no
>checking for FCC... no
>checking for KCC... no
>checking for RCC... no
>checking for xlC_r... no
>checking for xlC... no
>checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
>checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
>checking that C++ compiler can compile simple program... no
>configure: error: a working C++ compiler is required
>
>  Anyone as an idea of what could have been wrong ?  I've re-installer
>the static version of gcc (as lfs user) but to no avail.

At a guess, you did not install the c++ components during the chapter 6
install of gcc. If you used the same (scripted?) commands that were used
in chapter 5, you would not have untarred the gcc-g++ archive.

"... so you'll need to unpack both the gcc-core and gcc-g++
tarballs". From the cvs 10/30 version of the book.

If that is not the problem, your gcc install must have failed
somewhere. Do a reinstall of the chapter 6 gcc (review the text in the
book carefully) and make sure there are no errors. I would also suggest
re-install of each of the packages that follow gcc install, just to be on
the safe side.

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com