LFS Book Chapter 6 - 1st step (chroot to /mnt/lfs) doens't work

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Sun Nov 10 11:10:57 PST 2002

Argh! Can you make your mailer wrap please? Col 72 or so would be good.
Thanks.

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Brian Auld wrote:
>      LFS Book Chapter 6 - 1st step (chroot to /mnt/lfs) doens't work  ( post #1)

><snip>

>The basic problem is the first step I take in chapter 6: 'chroot'
>to /mnt/lfs doens't appear to work. I'm not that experienced with the chroot command, but I figure after performing the command, your shell will interpret your new root as the NEWROOT specified in your command. In other works, after doing a 'chroot /mnt/lfs ..', if you 'cd' to '/' you should actually be where '/mnt/lfs' was before you chrooted.
>
>The problem I'm having is that after performing the chroot, my '/' is still where it originally was. Thus, all the subsequent commands in the instructions don't work because the '/' given in the command is with respect to the chrooted environment (i.e. old '/mnt/lfs') ... and it appears I haven't successfully chrooted, so the instructions as posted no longer work.
>
>I considered modifying the commands subsequent to the chroot command to treat /mnt/lfs as my '/', but I figured I should find out why this happened instead.
>
>Any pointers, advice would be appreciated.

Are you root user when you do the chroot? Must be to do it.
Make sure $LFS shows /mnt/lfs or whaterver just before you do it.
Make sure that you say

  chroot $LFS

and not

  chroot LFS

or something like that.

Make sure $LFS is really mounted before you do the chroot.

You can try the command parameters one at a time until you foind the
problem. For example

   chroot $LFS # Then do the ls / thing. If it broke already, see why.
               # Exit chroot environment and do the next.
   chroot $LFS ... # Next parameter *set*, repeat.

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org