LFS Book Chapter 6 - 1st step (chroot to /mnt/lfs) doens't work

Brian Auld brian_auld at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 10 10:45:53 PST 2002

What you said is what happens to me. Since my 'chroot' doesn't actually
appear to "change root" .... I can do a 'cd /mnt/lfs' because my shell's
interpretation of where '/' is did not change as a result of my 'chroot'
command. I did not get any error messages. It's not practical to show you
the results as I'm writing this email from a windows laptop ... separate box
from my LFS box. Maybe I'll try to paraphrase:

>pwd
/mnt/lfs
>echo $LFS
/mnt/lfs
>/usr/sbin/chroot $LFS /static/bin/env -i
>pwd
/mnt/lfs

What is going wrong is outside the bounds of my perception or knowledge ....
help me someone.