Problem with bash install

James R. Phillips james_r_phillips at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 9 16:42:17 PST 2002

Hi lfs-support,

I am not subscribed to this mailing list.

I am using the download version of mandrake 9.0; and I
am using LFS 4.0.  I had to get libnurses from a
mandrake mirror, as it didn't come in the download
version ISO's.

I created the lfs partition and mounted it as /LFS;
created /LFS/static; untarred the bash source into
/LFS/static/bash-2.05a.

The configure command goes smoothly, as does the make.

However, executing "make install" give the following
error message:

/usr/bin/install -c -m 0755 bash /usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/bin/install: cannot remove `/usr/local/bin/bash':
Permission denied
make: *** [install] Error 1

This is somewhat alarming, as I thought the install
was to take place beneath the /LSF/static directory
tree.

An echo $LFS command reveals that LFS is properly set
to /LFS.

I double-checked that the configure command was typed
correctly; it was.  I am carrying out all this work
(except the mount) as the normal user lfs.

Any help would be appreciated.

James R. Phillips