OK, I'm Lost

John Lowell johnlowell at ameritech.net
Fri Nov 8 23:06:29 PST 2002

Ken, Tim & Allen,

If the fact that I'm replying to you from my own message seems odd, its
because I've switched machines to communicate and have only my inbox copy of
my lastest message to work with on this one. Anyway, something is very wrong
here. I'm getting "no such directory" messages everywhere I turn. First, I
discovered that hda7, the partition I'll be installing into, /mnt/lfs as it
were, wasn't mounted, so I mounted it initially running

mkdir -p /mnt/lfs

and then

mount /devhda7 /mnt/lfs

That done, I executed

export LFS=/mnt/lfs

to make use of the environmental variable. Since I'd already created the
unpriviledged user account called lfs, as root I ran

chown -R lfs $LFS/static

and got back a no such directory message. Even attempts to get things back to
the point we were discussing earlier are problemed now! It wasn't this fouled
up the first time. Clearly, I've done something traumatic here, perhaps
before I wrote the list originally when I deleted and subsequently recreated
the unpriviledged to get a clean start. Some clean, eh? God, I don't know.
Unless you folks can extract me from this problem simply at this point, I'd
be apt to start all over, reinstall Mandrake, recreate the lfs partition,
etc. But I'm not going to quit. I'm going to learn this if it takes five
years.

John Lowell

John Lowell
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org