Your mail

Allen Parker allenp at efn.org
Thu Nov 7 22:54:56 PST 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: lfs-support-bounce at linuxfromscratch.org
[mailto:lfs-support-bounce at linuxfromscratch.org] On Behalf Of Jeroen
Coumans
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 12:45 PM
To: lfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org
Subject: Re: Your mail

On Thursday 07 November 2002 09:37, Ladislav Danko wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 November 2002 19:08, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> > You mean 2.96.x. The only time that version ever gave trouble was
> > in RH-7.0. But the 2.95.x release is STILL available in RH (and
> > even installed by default IIRC) so this shouldn't stop you from
> > preventing
>
> are you sure?
> $> gcc -v
> Reading specs from
> /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
> gcc driver version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-110)
> executing gcc version egcs-2.91.66
> $>
> -the same in rh7.2 (and i don't know how in rh7.0), so i'm not so
> sure about gcc2.95.x in rh's7.x distros.

It's there but it's called differently (kgcc ??). I would refer to the
archives since lots of people have reported problems with RH7.x and
everytime someone stepped in and said, hey, just change the link from
gcc to <kgcc>. Working from memory here so please apply grain of salt
before taking too seriously...

> anyway, i wouldn't like making flame, but i hope the best way prevent
> yourself from problems is using official gnu gcc versions of
> compilers.

For LFS, definitely. That's why we bootstrap twice. No flames meant.

--
Groeten/Greetings
Jeroen Coumans

I'm not quite sure about x86 versions, but I know for a fact that on
sparc64 redhat 7.3 (http://www.auroralinux.org) (on my Ultra 5) kgcc is
the "real" gcc.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org