OK, I'm Lost

Allen Parker allenp at efn.org
Thu Nov 7 22:32:29 PST 2002

<snip>
Bash-2.05a via

./configure --enable-static-link \
     --prefix +$LFS/static --with-curses &&
make &&
make install

<snip>

Now, you should know that I have little experience working from the
Linux
command line and while I feel reasonably certain that I've followed the
instructions to the letter, a certain doubt haunts my consciousness as I

write you. It's not that you are dealing with a rank amateur, your not,
but
there are certain unfamiliarities, the > type characters used on the
left
side of the console screen, for example. A lot is unsaid in the
instructions
and one relies on an intuitive sense when moving forward in these cases.

What can you tell me? I'm not willing to quit.

John Lowell

First things first. DON'T DELETE ANYTHING! Ok, now that we've got that
done, we're going to check your environmental variables. I'm assuming
that you haven't entered chapter 6 yet (chroot environment). SO, type in
echo $LFS if it shows "/mnt/lfs" or something along those lines, double
check the above command. There shouldn't be a "+" before $LFS/static. If
worse comes to worse, check http://www.linuxfromscratch.org scroll down
until you hit the hints mirrors, click one, then on the left, there will
be a menu, find the "hints" book that corresponds to your lfs book
(whether it be 3.0, 4.0, cvs) and click that link. Down at the bottom,
there's a "newbies" hint file that may help you out.

Cheers!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org