OK, I'm Lost

John Lowell johnlowell at ameritech.net
Fri Nov 8 01:20:31 PST 2002

First of all, I hope I'm reaching the Linux From Scratch support mailing list.
Second, if I have, in fact, reached that list, perhaps a beginning can be
made on a impasse I've encountered with the LFS installation.

I'm attempting to install LFS from Mandrake 9.0, having first downloaded and
printed-out the book, created my /mnt/lfs partition, downloaded the
appropriate packages to my user Home Directory, created an unpriviledged user
account and entered all commands to create a suitable environment. The
impasse occurs when attempting to install Bash. As indicated in the text and
while Mandrake 9.0 includes libncurses.a, it does not include libcurses.a, so
I made a symlink as root. Next, as unpriviledged user, I attempted to install
Bash-2.05a via

./configure --enable-static-link \
     --prefix +$LFS/static --with-curses &&
make &&
make install

but I get back a "no such directory" error. After failing the first time, I
used userdel to remove the unpriviledged user account so as to have a clean
second go at it. Sad to say, I reached the same impasse on the second try.

Now, you should know that I have little experience working from the Linux
command line and while I feel reasonably certain that I've followed the
instructions to the letter, a certain doubt haunts my consciousness as I
write you. It's not that you are dealing with a rank amateur, your not, but
there are certain unfamiliarities, the > type characters used on the left
side of the console screen, for example. A lot is unsaid in the instructions
and one relies on an intuitive sense when moving forward in these cases.

What can you tell me? I'm not willing to quit.

John Lowell

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org