RPM

Ken Anderson mildseven at linuxmail.org
Thu Nov 7 14:25:27 PST 2002

Hi
I am trying to do the same thing and i have a few mails saved from this list, and a few documents i found on the net. but my problem is i dont wanna build a static system, is there anyway u can hook me up with your static build. maybe you can tar/bzip it and upload it somewhere.

for the rpm, heres a few things that might be helpful

try this site. if it makes any sense, let me know :-)
http://www.puxedo.org/lvr

and heres a mail from luis jure on this list, not long ago

thanks mainly to a message from jeff
johnson i found in the rpm-list. questions regarding rpm seem to be
quite
frequent in this list, and i thought this could be of some interest to
others. so here's a teensy-weensy rpm 4.1 hint for lfs 4.0.

1) since building rpm had been problematic for me in the past, this
time it
was one of the first things i tried to do after finishing lfs 4.0
strictly
by the book. i think i only had "which" installed from the
blfs book (the
program, in my case, not the script). i guess that means this really
_should_ work in all cases.

2) the first configure stopped soon complaining about the mktemp
command
not found. i couldn't find any reference to mktemp in lfs or blfs, so
downloaded and installed it.

http://www.mktemp.org/mktemp/

after that the configure ran fine. all the rest is pure lfs 4.0

3) all you need is the tarball with the rpm sources; the latest is
4.1:

ftp://ftp.rpm.org/pub/rpm/dist/rpm-4.1.x/rpm-4.1.tar.gz

this package has its own versions of db and db3, so you don't need a
separate installation for those.

here is the sequence i followed:

tar xzf rpm-4.1.tar.gz

cd rpm-4.1/db/build_unix
../dist/configure --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-debug \
            --enable-rpc
make

cd rpm-4.1/db3
../db/dist/configure --enable-shared --enable-static --enable-debug \
            --enable-rpc --with-uniquename=_rpmdb --srcdir=$db_dist
make

cd rpm-4.1
./configure --without-python
make
make install

that's all. the --without-python is necessary since python is not
included
in lfs. i guess that if you install it following blfs you could run a
simple ./configure with python as is the default.

i generally use rpm with checkinstall. there's a patch for it that i
think
is necessary to use it with rpm-4.1, since some things changed from
4.0.x.
i applied it and checkinstall and rpm now work perfectly well
together in
my lfs system.

do let me know how it goes. i am very interested.