glibc and kernel headers

Ulrich Fahrenberg uli at math.auc.dk
Thu Nov 7 03:54:19 PST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Richard Lightman wrote:

> * Ulrich Fahrenberg <uli at math.auc.dk> [2002-11-07 07:49]:
>
> > When I was compiling glibc, /usr/src/linux did not exist (actually it
> > did not exist during all of my chapter 6 compilations). glibc-make
> > didn't complain.
>
> glibc does not use /usr/src/linux/. It uses /usr/include/. Shortly
> before installing glibc was a section called "Installation of the
> kernel headers". In that section, you installed the kernel headers
> for glibc in /usr/include/.

Duh, maybe I should try to follow the think-before-you-post advice
next time ;-) Of course, glibc compiles against the stuff in
/usr/include. But this then leads to a new question:

Why do people (apparently) have /usr/src/linux lying around crowding
their harddisks, if it's not needed for any programs to compile
against? Just so they can compile new kernels now and then?

Uli

--
Ulrich Fahrenberg -- http://www.math.auc.dk/~uli

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org