iptables Functioning on an LFS built system?? Plus another trick...

Allen Parker allenp at efn.org
Thu Nov 7 01:23:37 PST 2002

Hi All,

First of all, has anyone managed to have iptables working in an LFS
installation ? I am sure someone's tried...

Also is there anywhere that carries the hints? I have accessed a
mirror of LFS site, but it only carries the main html book etc...

Am blundering my way through an LFS system build. It's all going ok,
appart from the fact that I don't have a hardrive or partition to
install on. I do not want to shrink my existing partitions, and am in
the process of aquiring an extra HD.

<snip>

Cheers,
Michael

********************************

Hey, iptables should be pretty simple to build, if it's not part of the
beyond lfs book (blfs), it should be. In case you're using the cvs tree
like me some things I should mention: there COULD be some segfault
causing improper builds of GNU textutils, fileutils, and grep if you're
using the versions provided with the cvs packages. On textutils and
fileutils, I suggest going to ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu and downloading the
last minor-version'd package (ie for 4.1 segfault, get 4.0) this seems
to have solved my personal problems. The GNU convention is to use even
numbered (.0, .2, etc) minor verions to specify "stable" and odd
numbered (.1, .3, etc) minor versions to mean experimental. However, if
something breaks, look for the main distribution site of whatever broke,
read up on whatever broke, and then re-build. It shouldn't be too hard
to spend that extra couple minutes to check compatibility.

Cheers!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org