Help in partitioning

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Wed Nov 6 08:20:21 PST 2002

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 01:14:57 -0600 (CST) Pradeep Hariharakumar
<pradeep at raj16.tamu.edu> wrote:

> 1) It says Partition table entries are not in disk order. Is that a
> problem? (I chose hdb3 as a primary partition)

Not for Linux.

> 2) When I'm trying to mount /dev/hdb3 it says:
> mount: can't find /dev/hdb3 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Well, what's mysterious about this? Create an entry in fstab for the
partition.

> 3) When I tried e2fsck it worked, but initially I had to umount /home.
> But I couldn't do it. It gave device busy error message. So finally I
> commented out /home line from /etc/fstab and rebooted the computer and
> then ran e2fsck, resize2fs and fdisk. I was just curious is there any
> other way of unmounting /home without rebooting?

Of course you don't have to reboot to unmount /home. You just have to make
sure no program is keeping it busy. Note that if /home is the working
directory for any running program it counts as busy. So make sure that you
cd out of /home in any shells you have running.

MSB

--
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org