Help in partitioning

Pradeep Hariharakumar pradeep at raj16.tamu.edu
Tue Nov 5 23:14:57 PST 2002

Hi,

Thanks for the hints. My /home (/dev/hdb1) was 35GB, which I resized to
30GB using e2fsck, resize2fs and fdisk. Now fdisk /dev/hdb gives the
following:

Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors,
4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1             1      3820  30684118+  83  Linux
/dev/hdb2          4605      4865   2096482+   5  Extended
/dev/hdb3          3821      4604   6297480   83  Linux
/dev/hdb5          4605      4865   2096451   82  Linux swap

Partition table entries are not in disk order

I have 3 questions:

1) It says Partition table entries are not in disk order. Is that a
problem? (I chose hdb3 as a primary partition)

2) When I'm trying to mount /dev/hdb3 it says:
mount: can't find /dev/hdb3 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

3) When I tried e2fsck it worked, but initially I had to umount /home. But
I couldn't do it. It gave device busy error message. So finally I
commented out /home line from /etc/fstab and rebooted the computer and
then ran e2fsck, resize2fs and fdisk. I was just curious is there any
other way of unmounting /home without rebooting?

thanks a lot for all the help.

pradeep

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org