Is usr/bin/strip a file destroyer?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Tue Nov 5 13:03:09 PST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 09:37, Chris Lingard wrote:

> The format not recognised are from scripts, that cannot be stripped; these
> messages can be ignored.
>
> If you use this command on a running system, then you have probably
> wrecked it.  This is easy to check, does it still run.

Um... No, that won't wreck the system.  About the worst that can happen
is that you'll no longer be able to get intelligible output from gdb
because all the debugging symbols are gone.  _The_ worst thing that can
happen (from the LFS perspective) is that if you forget the -g argument,
stripping some of the libraries (libbfd I *think* is the "magic" one,
but it's been years since I screwed up like this myself) will cause GNU
configuration scripts to no longer be able to automagically detect your
host type, and suddenly you're going to need to append
i586-knucklehead-linux-gnu to every configure argument just to get
things to compile.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org