compile problems (segmentation fault) -- GCC3.2

Jon Stavis jstavis at syncline.com
Tue Nov 5 15:01:19 PST 2002

Hi, I'm having some problems compiling GCC3.2 using book version 4.0.
The script I'm using is exactly as described in chapter 5 and my host
platform is RH8.0 (GCC 3.2, 2.4.18 kernel) on an athlon 900/512MB RAM.

My first attempt at compilation gave this error during what I think is
the beginning of stage3 build:

Comparing stage2 and stage3 of the compiler
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gcc-build/gcc'
rm -f .bad_compare
case "compare" in compare | compare-lean ...
Bootstrap comparison failure!
genflags.o differs
make[1]: *** [compare] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gcc-build/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Subsequent tries (deleting $LFS/gcc-3.2 and $LFS/gcc-build dirs and
starting the gcc build from scratch) yield similar comparison errors
(but with different files causing the problem).
I tried to remedy this by running 'make bootstrap4', but am getting
similar comparison failures:

Bootstrap comparison failure!
explow.o differs
gcc.o differs
make[1]: *** [compare3] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gcc-build/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap4] Error 2

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

ps. sorry if I'm reposting some already encountered or common problem,
as the

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org