LFS on older Sparcs

Bill Maltby - LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Tue Nov 5 11:16:16 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
>Hi!
>
>On Tuesday 05 November 2002 14:29, you wrote:
><snip>

> > Configure:	28 minutes
> > Compile:	24 minutes
> > Install:	<1 minute
> >                 --
> > Total:		53 minutes
> > So 1 SBU is just about an hour.
>
>That's what I feared... :-/ I think configure is longer than compiling
><snip>

>I'm heading right now (well, rather next week-end) to a x-compile from
>my PII-350. That shall be faster (I hope!)

It will be. I have a IBM6x86-II (read that as Cryix) PR-300 (equivalent to
a P2-300 supposedly). With older IDE/ATAPI drives, LFS 3.3 cvs 20020521
took about 6.5 hours for a complete install (well, the target drive was a
10K rpm IBM).

LFS 4.0 cvs 20021006 took 8.5 hours, approximately. This is due to the
changes for gcc-3.2, and related, and maybe some due to the addition of
/static.

><sni>

>Yann.

You may have some improvement by fiddling with the block size on the
target HD. Since the default block is 1024 and almost *all* the files
through chapter8 are *much* larger than that, try using blocksize of 2048
or 4096. Reduce the number of i-nodes accordingly. Set m=0 when doing the
mke2fs. Make sure your swap is large enough (192MB - 256MB). If you do df
-i on the current LFS HD, it will show your free i-nodes so you can
estimate how much to cut. *Do not* cut to closely - you need to have some
for work files and room for growth.

--
Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com