LFS on older Sparcs

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Tue Nov 5 09:32:09 PST 2002

Hi!

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 14:29, you wrote:

[From another post by you]
 > To the poor guy with an IPX

That sounds like me! ;-]

 > Configure:	28 minutes
 > Compile:	24 minutes
 > Install:	<1 minute
 >                 --
 > Total:		53 minutes
 > So 1 SBU is just about an hour.

That's what I feared... :-/ I think configure is longer than compiling
because it as to create very many tiny files and compile them indepently and
repeatedly to check for necessary functions. Does your machine has a lot
of RAM (read 'a loat of cache'), or is it short on RAM (cache)? Being
short on RAM would explain that : the system can't cache all of the
compile tools (compiler/assembler/linker, so it has to reload them from disk
for every and single file it compiles. Because bash has many less files
than configure, each tool is loaded much less times, thus allowing 'faster'
execution... Am I clear? Am I wrong? :-/

I'm heading right now (well, rather next week-end) to a x-compile from
my PII-350. That shall be faster (I hope!)

Will post later on about success/failure/whatever I encountered while
x-compiling on x86 for SPARC.

Thanks for the figures anyway!

Yann.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home  507 | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org