Is usr/bin/strip a file destroyer?

Chris Lingard chris at stockwith.co.uk
Tue Nov 5 07:37:57 PST 2002

Florian Hess (FLoH) wrote:

> I don't know how to handle the dozen or so of
> "/usr/bin/strip:[path+file]: file truncated" messages. Does that mean
> that these files won't work any more, are they destructed?
>
> That is chapter 9 of LFS revision 4.0. I used the very same command as
> this in the book per copy+paste (not strip-all!).
>
> By the way these messages appeared among uncountable
> "/usr/bin/strip:[path+file]:file format not recognized" messages.
> Shall I be worried about these messages? Shall I make use of my backup?

The format not recognised are from scripts, that cannot be stripped; these
messages can be ignored.

If you use this command on a running system, then you have probably
wrecked it.  This is easy to check, does it still run.

If you used the books command, using $LFS, then all should be OK. I
am not sure about the "file truncated" messages without more information
about files involved

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org