Is usr/bin/strip a file destroyer?

Florian Hess (FLoH) hipabos at web.de
Tue Nov 5 05:35:02 PST 2002

Hi lf-scratchers,

I had put a post in .chat concerning strip, but unfortunately there
are no replies yet. I suppose my question was not clear enough (?).

I don't know how to handle the dozen or so of
"/usr/bin/strip:[path+file]: file truncated" messages. Does that mean
that these files won't work any more, are they destructed?

That is chapter 9 of LFS revision 4.0. I used the very same command as
this in the book per copy+paste (not strip-all!).

By the way these messages appeared among uncountable
"/usr/bin/strip:[path+file]:file format not recognized" messages. They
have run over screen like rats and I failed to record the output in a
file, so I can't figure out what files were not recognised or truncated.

Shall I be worried about these messages? Shall I make use of my backup?

Thank you in advance for answer,
FLoHrian.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org