Help in partitioning

Ulrich Fahrenberg uli at math.auc.dk
Mon Nov 4 13:42:56 PST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Pradeep Hariharakumar wrote:

> I have a separate partition for /home in the existing linux
> system. So I just want to repartition this /home alone so that I
> can allocate some space from /home to lfs. And I don't want to
> lose the contents of /home. How will I go about doing this?

man resize2fs :
``
       If  you  wish  to  shrink the an ext2 partition, first use
       resize2fs to shrink the size of filesystem.  Then you  may
       use  fdisk(8)  to  shrink the size of the partition.  When
       shrinking the size of the partition, make sure you do  not
       make  it smaller than the new size of the ext2 filesystem!
''

WARNING: Playing around with partitions in this way is usually
considered dangerous, and you should back up your data before doing
this.

Uli

--
Ulrich Fahrenberg -- http://www.math.auc.dk/~uli