lilo on redhat 8.0 using grub

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Mon Nov 4 10:50:26 PST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:24:22 -0800 (PST) Jimmy Oliver <list at joliver.net>
wrote:

> 1) Do the bootloaders have to match?

You can only have one boot loader in the master boot record. You can
install additional boot loaders on partitions but that would only make
sense if you wanted to boot an operating system that requires a special
boot loader. It definitely doesn't make sense to install GRUB and LILO on
the same system if all you want is to boot Linux systems.

> Do I have to use grub on my lfs
> system since I am using it on my host system?

You don't have to. You can install LILO to boot both your host and your
new LFS. But that's a risky procedure because if you screw up you can boot
neither and will need a boot disk to recover.

But the question is: Why would you want to install LILO if your host has
GRUB? GRUB can boot LFS just fine and you'll save yourself a lot of
trouble if you just stick with your host system's boot loader.
You don't even have to install GRUB on your LFS system. Simply add a boot
entry for LFS into the menu.lst on your host system and you're done.

> My
> lfs system is on a seperate hard drive from my host system.  Will this
> present any problems?

If it's the 2nd hard disk it should not pose any problems. If it's a 3rd
or 4th disk things could get difficult.

MSB

--
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago -

The second best is now!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org