Error while compiling GCC 2.95.3

Oliver Tupman otupman at dts-workshop.com
Sun Nov 3 13:12:51 PST 2002

Hi there,

Firstly, standard newbie line: First time poster to the list, so bare
with me.

I'm having problems getting GCC 2.95.3 to compile on my tiny Cyrix C3
PC. Everything up to gcc compiles fine. The problem occurs in the line:

   make BOOT_LDFLAGS=-static bootstrap

During this it makes the following call:
   ./genattr ../../gcc-2.95.3/gcc/config/i386/i386.md > tmp-attr.h

Which results in the following message:
   make[2]: *** [s-attr] Error 132
   make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs-source/gcc-build/gcc'
   make[1]: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
   make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs-source/gcc-build/gcc'
   make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

If I run genattr manually, I get the following:

   /* Generated automatically by the program `genattr'
   from the machine description file `md'.  */

   #define HAVE_ATTR_alternative

[SNIP]

   extern enum attr_memory get_attr_memory ();

   Illegal instruction

Illegal instruction? The only time I've seen that is when I've tried to
run code on my C3 that was compiled on my Athlon, so I assume it means
that an instruction has been made that isn't available to the C3....

If this has come up before on this list, then my apologies but the LFS
main server isn't working. It could of course be a matter for the gcc
list, but that looks rather high-volume. I've also managed to
successfully create an LFS setup on a separate machine. Neither have I
deviated in any way from the LFS book.

Extra details that may or may not be useful:

System: Via Mini-ITX mobo with C3 800Mhz processor.
OS: RedHat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.18-3
LFS version 3.3 obtained on CD which (in theory) is a mirror of LFS
Current gcc -v gives:
   Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
   gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-110)

Any ideas anybody?

Cheers,

  Ollie Tupman.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org