LFS on older Sparcs

Jamie Norwood mistwolf at mushhaven.net
Sun Nov 3 11:55:11 PST 2002

on Sat, 2 Nov 2002 21:45:41 +0000 (UTC), "Yann E. MORIN" stated:
> Hi!
>
> On Saturday 02 November 2002 16:12, you wrote:
> > I'm about to give this a whirl on an old SPARCstation 5, and was
> > wondering if anyone else out there has done this on that era sparc? Any
> > pitfalls I should watch out for?
>
> I don't have the answer, but I plan to install LFS 4.0 on my SPARC-4.
> Have you any idea of the SBU on this machine (I mean, 1h, 1 day...) ?
> I'm looking on cross compiling from my 'fast' PII-350.

I should know by later tonight, if all goes well, what the SBU on a SS5
is. No idea how it will relate to an SS4. I expect it to be in the
'hours' range for mine; it has compiled GCC in the past in about 8
hours, IIRC.

> What I see is not do chapter 5, but rather:
>  1) have a cross-compiler that runs on x86 and spits out sparc code
>  2) cross-compile the glibc to be sparc code and store it on LFS
>  3) tell the configure/compiler/linker to link across this new glibc
>  4) go on with chapter 6, skipping glibc installation
> Do I miss anything?

Seems to look ok to me, buyt I've never played with x-compiling.

> Of course, I'm not gonna use lilo, but silo, but are there any other package
> that I should be aware of changing for the SPARC platform?

I think there is a tools package out there with things like 'eject' for
floppies and cds. I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes. :)

> TIA,
> Yann.

Jamie
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org