Patching packages

Argux argux at myrealbox.com
Sat Nov 2 23:52:49 PST 2002

Hi, I'm new here and I might be asking some stupid questions, buy that's how we all start, don't we?

So, can I install ncurses from source into my Mandrake 8.2 system, even if there might be another version installed (I think it's installed, but corrupted)? I can't seem to use the already installed version, cause I cant find the libcurses.a and the book says I should symlink it to /usr/lib, but it doesn't say from _where_.

I'd install it from the RPM (the libcurses-devel package, i mean) but it says it's already installed, so i try to uninstall it, then it tells me it needs to uninstall the kernel sources too.
Is that safe? Can I do that and later reinstall the kernel sources? Or can I safely use ncurses-5.3 instead of 5.2 for all purposes?

Thanks in advance for your help, and let's all hope i won't be bothering you soon.
~Argux
perroscongatos.com
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org