Question regarding compiling packages

Albert Wagner alwagner at tcac.net
Sat Nov 2 11:59:54 PST 2002

On Saturday 02 November 2002 12:16 pm, you wrote:
<snip>

> A related question I've had is about how many packages use:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
>
> When adding to an LFS system, how does one know when to use a prefix
> option or not, and if so, where to point it?

It is ultimately your choice; i.e. you may use no options and go with the
default directories in the configure file.  Or, you can use options, like
--prefix=, when you want to override the defaults.  LFS wants such packages
in /usr.  The typical default is /usr/local, therefore the --prefix=/usr
option is used.  CAVEAT: If this is your first LFS system and you are not a
linux guru, do everything according to the book.  Next time around you can
get creative.  Type ./configure --help and look and all of the options.

--
"I invented the term Object-Oriented, and I can
tell you I did not have C++ in mind."
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org