LFS on older Sparcs

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Sat Nov 2 13:46:54 PST 2002

Hi!

On Saturday 02 November 2002 16:12, you wrote:
 > I'm about to give this a whirl on an old SPARCstation 5, and was
 > wondering if anyone else out there has done this on that era sparc? Any
 > pitfalls I should watch out for?

I don't have the answer, but I plan to install LFS 4.0 on my SPARC-4.
Have you any idea of the SBU on this machine (I mean, 1h, 1 day...) ?
I'm looking on cross compiling from my 'fast' PII-350.

What I see is not do chapter 5, but rather:
 1) have a cross-compiler that runs on x86 and spits out sparc code
 2) cross-compile the glibc to be sparc code and store it on LFS
 3) tell the configure/compiler/linker to link across this new glibc
 4) go on with chapter 6, skipping glibc installation
Do I miss anything?

Of course, I'm not gonna use lilo, but silo, but are there any other package
that I should be aware of changing for the SPARC platform?

TIA,
Yann.

|  0 662 376 056  | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |
| web: ymorin.free.fr | SETI at home  503 | / \ HTML MAIL    |   v   conspiracy.  |
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org