Question regarding compiling packages

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Sat Nov 2 11:34:05 PST 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-02 at 11:16, David C wrote:
> A related question I've had is about how many packages use:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
>
> When adding to an LFS system, how does one know when to use a prefix
> option or not, and if so, where to point it?

Look in the Makefile of a package.  Sometimes the prefix is set to
/usr/bin or merely /bin or whatever.  If you want it to use '/usr' but
the default is something else then you have to tell it what is desired.

To learn more about this sort of thing read the info page for make and
read some Makefiles.

I would point you at the compiling-software-howto but it is not being
actively maintained.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,