System.map purpose?

David C david at desolateonline.com
Fri Nov 1 15:40:57 PST 2002

What is the System.map file in the /boot directory for? The reason I ask
is because I have been using my hosts' LILO so far, simply because I
like the nice graphical menu RH uses for it. Now I'm going to use the
'LILO Beautified' hint to attempt to mimic this and hopefully improve
upon it within LFS. This will mean switching over to booting from LFS's
LILO and /boot directory, which has it's own System.map file.

In the past, I'm pretty sure I've used LFS' System.map for both LFS and
RH with no ill effects apparent, but I am wondering if they truly are
interchangeable, and just what exactly they are for anyway.

I know they are not identical because the file size is different by a
sizeable amount.

I assume they must be at least somewhat interchangeable, since when
booting multiple kernels I've never seen mention of requiring multiple
System.maps...

Thanks,
--
David C.