Kernel Headers

David C david at desolateonline.com
Fri Nov 1 10:32:01 PST 2002

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

I've had this question for awhile now, and thought I sort of knew the
answer.

The LFS book features a quote from Linus regarding various issues
regarding the Kernel headers. I gather from it that the proper place to
store the headers is in /usr/include/linux, rather than in
/usr/src/linux with symlinks to them from the former. I also understand
that those headers should baically be left alone, even if you upgrade
your kernel, as they need to be the headers that glibc was compiled
against.

Ok so far, but is it safe to delete the /usr/src/linux* directory or
untar a fresh tar.gz of the same version of it in the same directory
(thus overwriting the old one) when I'm going to recompile? And further
what to do when compiling a different version kernel?

In other words, I guess I'm asking if the (/mnt/lfs)/usr/src/linux*
directory is used for anything once the kernel is already compiled and
installed?

Also, where are modules stored? In both my RH 8.0 host and in LFS, the
/usr/include/linux directory does not have a modules directory, but the
/usr/src/linux/include/linux directory does. Hence my confusion as to
if it's ok to delete the kernel directory or not.

Sorry if my message is convoluted and hard to understand. I'm new to
Linux internals, but thanks to LFS I am learning quite rapidly.

Thanks,
--
David C.
Linux user #277013